The Association for Global Debate is pleased to invite you to the Autumn 2017 AGD Shanghai Invitational Debate Tournament, hosted on the 21st-22nd of October at the Harrow International School Shanghai. The tournament will feature:
- An optional training session on the Friday evening with our experienced coaching staff;
- Four rounds of Debate on the Saturday October 21st, where all participants take part, with a break for lunch provided on site.
- Elimination rounds beginning with Double-Octofinals on Sunday October 22nd.
The AGD’s team of debate judges and coaches includes a former American national champion, a former coach of the largest debate team in the US, two prolific debate organizers from the London debate circuit, former American national runner-up, and breaking speakers and judges from the World Universities Debating Championship, European Universities Debating Championship, Asian Universities Debating Championship, Asian Schools Debating Championship, Cambridge Intervarsity, Oxford Intervarsity, Durham Open and Imperial College Open.
- Tournament Dates: October 21-22, 2017
- The tournament will be hosted at: Harrow International School Shanghai.
- Language of All Events: English
- Events offered:
- AGD High School (open to all grades; most competitors are above grade 9), open to all international students as well as local students who are comfortable debating against international students.
- ESL-only High School (open to all grades; most competitors are above grade 9), open to all students whose native language is not English. We define a native English speaker as a person who has a passport from or has lived in a country where one of the official languages is English for 5 years or more. Please note that this division is run by the NHSDLC, the local Chinese partner organization of the AGD.
- Open Middle School (open only to grades 5-9), open to middle schoolers from all schools, both international and local.
- Topic for All Debates: "Resolved: The benefits of using artificial intelligence outweigh the harms."
- Tournament Cap: 300 students
- Debate Rounds Planned: 4 preliminary rounds, then elimination rounds beginning with Octofinals.
- Awards: All elimination round participants and the top speaker will receive a trophy. All participants will receive a participation certificate.
- Meals: Lunch (Chinese food) is offered on Saturday and Sunday for an extra 30RMB per meal. Meal tickets may per purchased upon arrival.
Teams may choose to register in either one of two ways:
1. For coaches—Register your team in batch by requesting a registration spreadsheet from Contact@AGDebate.com.
2. For students or independent registrants—Register using our online form for each team. You may access the firm through these links:
- Individual Registration (English, VPN may be needed): Click here
- Individual Registration (Chinese, no VPN needed) : Click here
If you have any questions about this tournament, feel free to reach us through email Contact@AGDebate.com. We look forward to seeing you in October!