The Association for Global Debate is pleased to invite you to the Spring 2017 AGD Shanghai Invitational Debate Tournament. This will take place on the 13th-14th of May at Shanghai Jiao Tong University Minhang campus and will feature students from both international and domestic schools from across not just Shanghai but China and the rest of South East Asia.
The AGD’s team of debate judges and coaches includes a former American national champion, a former coach of the largest debate team in the US, two prolific debate organizers from the London debate circuit, former American national runner-up, and breaking speakers and judges from the World Universities Debating Championship, European Universities Debating Championship, Asian Universities Debating Championship, Asian Schools Debating Championship, Cambridge Intervarsity, Oxford Intervarsity, Durham Open and Imperial College Open. For this tournament we will be recruiting a number of experienced debate judges and coaches from Shanghai and abroad, as well as graduates from Ivy League and other internationally renowned universities.
Competition Dates: May 13-14, 2017
Optional Training session: Evening of Friday May 12th with the AGD's experienced training staff.
Debate Format: U.S. Public Forum Debate (2 person teams); all debates conducted in English.
Topic for All Debates: Resolved: The United Nations is no longer important.
Tournament Cap: 250 debaters
Rounds Planned: 4 preliminary rounds on the Saturday which all teams participate in, then elimination rounds on the Sunday where the top teams compete against eachother. We expect to clear all 3-1 and 4-0 teams.
The tournament will feature three divisions:
- AGD High School (grades 9-12), open to all international students as well as local students who are comfortable debating against international students.
- ESL-only High School (grades 10-12), open to all students whose native language is not English. We define a native English speaker as a person who has a passport from or has lived in a country where one of the official languages is English for 5 years or more. Please note that this division is run by the NHSDLC, the local Chinese partner organization of the AGD.
- ESL-only Middle School (grades 5-9), open to all students whose native language is not English. We define a native English speaker as a person who has a passport from or has lived in a country where one of the official languages is English for 5 years or more. Please note that this division is run by the NHSDLC, the local Chinese partner organization of the AGD.
Awards: All elimination round participants and the top speaker will receive a trophy or medal. All participants will receive a participation certificate.
Age Limitations: Any students may compete as long as they have not graduated from secondary school
Venue: Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Minhang campus, 800 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai, 200240
Registration Fee: ¥360 RMB per student (includes judging fees)
Food: Not included in the registration fee but available for purchase on campus.
Teams may choose to register in either one of two ways:
1. For coaches—Register your team in batch by requesting a registration spreadsheet from Contact@AGDebate.com. We are also happy to discuss reserving spaces for a school if you cannot immediately give full details of the students who are participating.
2. For students or independent registrants—Register using our online form for each team. You may access the firm through these links:
Individual Registration (English, VPN may be needed): Click here
Individual Registration (Chinese, no VPN needed): Click here